Thursday, April 8, 2010

Saved by a turkey

So tonight the person behind me was saved a ticket by the presence of a turkey.

The road from the local library back to my apartment is a rolling farm affair for the first half then it becomes a suburban business area for the other. The speed limit for the entire stretch is set to 35, and just as you cross into the business district, the road turns into a rather steep hill.

Tonight, I was coming back after picking up a few films and books, when I crested the hill. There in front of one of the businesses was a rather large bird. This time of year, it's not at all unusual to see Canadian Geese, but this one was different. At first I thought it was a peacock.

As I got closer, I could clearly make out the shape as that of a wild turkey hen. Of course I slow way down and am mesmerized watching this bird. It's then that I look up and see one of the communities finest¡ She had decided to set up a speed trap about mid way down the hill.

I am not prone to speed, I usually plan my trips with enough time to get to my destination early. Consequently, a speed trap almost never bothers me (aside from the fact that I think they're a waste of time and money). The one set tonight would have been no exception. However, because I was watching the turkey and slowing down, the person behind me, who previously was quickly gaining, was also forced to slow by my tail lights.

I'm sure that by the time they would have otherwise seen the police car, it would have been way too late. So tonight, whether they noticed the bird or not, they were probably saved a speeding ticket by a wild turkey. Who would have thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment