Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sometimes it just catches up

Sometimes I think as adults we overlook the simple joys of childhood. I know one of the things that I wish I could do that my younger children still enjoy is being able to fall asleep and have someone carry you off to bed. It doesn't matter where and nobody thinks it strange to have a five year old nod off in the car.

Last night was one of those nights for me. I got home from work and went upstairs. There, on the bed, were the three boys. All three balls of energy stored in tufts on the comforter. They looked so doggone comfortable, I thought I would join them for a quick nap.

Well, my quick nap ended this morning at 5:30. And would you believe that the first thing that ran through my mind was to feel badly that I didn't get all the things done yesterday afternoon that I had planned? How ridiculous!

If I were 5 and had done the same thing, a parent might "tsk" a bit, but ultimately agree that "he was just really worn out". Nor would I have worried about the toys that got left out or my dinner that I didn't finish. There would have been the simple freedom upon waking of enjoying the new day.

What I'm hoping to point out, and maybe convince myself along the way, is that this duality of thought about our actions is really silly. There isn't anything significantly different between the need to catch up on a few hours sleep when I was 5 and now. It's probably even more important that I do so now, because I don't take the opportunity to do so as frequently. There's always going to be something else that needs to be done, that's not going to stop even if I were to cease sleeping entirely.

I should have celebrated that I was able to wake before the alarm. I should have enjoyed getting out of bed and looking forward to another day of fun. After all, the only difference is some 30+ years. Time has taught me a lot of lessons, but should it have lessened the value of enough sleep? I don't think it should. So the next time you feel like crashing, go ahead. If you want, you can give me a call afterward and I'll be happy to "tsk" a bit but remind you that you must have had too much fun and were just worn out.

1 comment:

  1. It's the simple pleasures in life, isn't it? I found some of that happiness for "the kid" in me today... see my facebook photos of the hard boiled eggs!

    ReplyDelete