Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thoughts on the day

I've decided that about 82 degrees is just about perfect for me if it's going to be warm out. That's the sort of day that we have out here. Let me try and paint the picture of what it felt like when I went to lunch.

My van was parked in the cool shade of the building, so climbing in wasn't the oppressive blast a day like today can impart to the sealed oven of a vehicle interior. Donning my driving eyewear (sunglasses) I rolled the windows down to enjoy the fresh feeling that seems to dwell all about.

As I started off, I was immediately struck by how clear everything seemed. There was the slightest hint of flowering carried on the warm breeze. There was a longing to be a snake so that each of the odors could be tasted, savored, devoured. Or perhaps like the cats, walking quietly with my nose in the air detecting all the things that were about.

Soaring over head, drifting on the unseen currents were the birds. Their feathers spread, surely gleaning warmth and comfort from the overhead sun. I'm sure their lives are filled with constant worry and hunger as they seek the next meal, but at the same time there's this aura of peace that as I muddle about life's mires I envy to a small degree.

The solar heat penetrates the skin, probably causing irreversible and painful damage, but it is simply a delight to feel. Unlike during a weekend filled with thunder and rain, the urge is there to sprint outside. Delight as a child in the freedom from cares in the overwhelming beauty of the spring day.

Days like today are a blessing. The weather lifts the heart and the soul. In admiring the majesty of it all, it feels simply good enough to be alive.

May your days be as pleasurable, and may you find yourself able to partake!

No comments:

Post a Comment