Thursday, October 7, 2010

Family

I was sent a video by my mom the other day. It was a "Eulogy" for a deceased husband and it was quite moving. The production value of the piece was outstanding, so I watched all the way to the end to find out more about who made it (hey, sometimes you get lucky and they include credits).

Well the only thing it said at the end was the same as my title for this post. "Family" but it did include a link. http://thinkfamily.sg

So I went to the site not sure what to expect and found that it was the Singapore page dedicated to improving the family unit. I was so delighted to see that they put together such a neat site for what I feel is a spectacular cause. See, to me, family should be the place that we feel loved and safe from the world. I like the idea of promoting togetherness and learning how to better serve one another in our families.

Not to say that people in bad relationships shouldn't leave when necessary and that every family is perfect. See there's this adage about throwing rocks when your home is made of windows. As a single dad, I don't have any right to tell anyone how to be a perfect family, since I wasn't able to hold my own as it were.

I'm just saying that in a world that seems to say because ideals are hard to come by we shouldn't bother, I think we need to embrace the loftiest goals. In my struggle to be the best, I might just wind up really good and that wouldn't be so bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment