Friday, October 15, 2010

The great romance

Time has failed to dim those memories. I still feel every moment, every thrill. There was something so real about that very instant. 

Even after three decades, placing my experience under the microscope of thought, I find the time  before and after fading into blurriness. Yet that razor thin slice of day remains crisp.

Without the burden of responsibility and our own insecurities we celebrated life. Each day was a new adventure and we lusted after all that it brought. Our desire spilled over into our free time and on the playground we explored what little we knew.

Certain things were just given, we didn't question the reasons why. There wasn't any need to do so. In our case, we knew that the boys were supposed to chase the girls.

Was it siblings that put us up to exploring their own fears? Maybe exposure to similar events from media or our observance of the world about. It really didn't matter, it felt more like an instinct, something we knew we had to do.

So I chased and you ran.

I'm sure you could easily outstripped my own pace, yet all too often I found you a hairs breath outside my reach. It must have carried with it as much thrill for you as I experienced when I could almost stretch my arms to gather you in, because it happened frequently.

Finally darting in and about the playground, I managed to catch you. Surely you must have heard my heart leap within my chest. The flood of victory and triumph coursed unrestrained through my small frame.

On wings, together we ducked into the woods as the others looked on. In our innocence and joy, such a hiding place was only necessary to remove ourselves from the jeers of our classmates and the prying eyes of the teacher. Yet our fellows knew, just as we both did what was to come next.

Breathless and now out of site, I nervously placed my arms around your shoulders. Drawing you in, missing were any thoughts of the course of action. Unlike our awkward teenage years, thoughts of looks, bad breath, noses, even eyes, were absent from the situation. It was enough that I liked you and that I had caught you during the game.

Oh what marvelous times, it was simply enough to "like" you. Never in the decades that passed would I feel that emotional freedom. It was loving without the burdens now associated with "love". If asked, I know I would have denied any deeper emotional connection, saying such things were "yucky" but it was the most pure love that I felt for you in that moment. I never wanted to chase another.

So here, with my love, in this wooded spot upon the playground, I found myself holding you. Leaning toward your mouth. You closed your eyes. I don't suppose you remember that, but I do. And in the tenderest way, my lips pressed gently against your own.

There was no extended contact. No impassioned embrace where I held you to me. The instant lingered long enough for me to know you gently kissed me back.

I tasted your lips, still finding the hint of strawberry gloss. I could detect the scent of your shampoo from golden hair. And even the soft brush of your clothing against my hands was sensed.

As we broke away, we stepped back to the reality with giggles of delight. After all, we just kissed and were sure to hear about it for the rest of the afternoon. With the smiling effervescence of youth, you turned on you heel and dashed away.

Then I knew once again the chase was on.

No comments:

Post a Comment